[CARTE+PORTFOLIO] Deer, goats, ostrich, fallow deer, llamas… Discover these animals in the heart of unusual places that smell of nature
Are you in Charente and don’t have the courage to swallow kilometers of asphalt and hours of traffic jams to go to the zoo at La Palmyre in Royan? Rest assured, the department also has animal parks, in the heart of green places.
- BROSSAC: The Lama association in Beleteau. Walks with llamas on the Brossacais trails. The Brossac lamas offer a three-quarter-hour walk in the morning. Possible picnic on the way in the forests (minimum 4 people). Open from July 1st to August 31st, every day, by appointment only. Prices: €6 to €25 (adult), €6 to €20 child. Minimum price for an approach to llamas. Maximum price for a morning walk E-mail: [email protected] Website: www.randonnée-lamas-poitou-charentes.com – Tel.0545985058.
- GUIZENGEARD: Haute-Saintonge Safari Park, Relay Buissonnet. In an enclosed 650 ha site where woods, meadows and ponds mingle, discover wildlife (deer, fallow deer, mouflons, wild boar, deer). Visit aboard a Land Rover 4×4 (telephoto lenses and binoculars desirable). Possibility of accommodation and breakfast by reservation Open until 31 October every day, visits at dawn and dusk by appointment Prices: €12.5 (adult); €7.50 (children up to 12 years old), decreasing rates for groups Contact: 0545989931. E-mail: [email protected]; Internet: www.safari-parc.fr
- HIESSE: Morro Encantado Animal Park, the Old Age. On 11 ha, discover common and exotic animals: camels, raccoons, kangaroos, ostriches, rheas, llamas, Corsican sheep, American bison… and farm animals. See also the exhibition of old agricultural equipment that depict the evolution of agricultural mechanization. Open from July 1st to August 31st, every day from 10 am to 8 pm. From September 1st to October 31st, Sunday from 2 pm to 6 pm Prices: €8 (adult), €6 (child). Group rates Contact: 0545896545; Website: http://www.colline-enchantee.com
- LESSAC: Lessac’s deer, the Petit-Faux. The farm specializes in deer farming and sells agricultural products. Free walks allowed. By appointment.Contact: 0545842157 or 0663663097.E-mail: [email protected]; Internet: www.elevage-cerfs-charente.com
See Charente animal parks in a larger map
- MAINZAC: The Forest of Brame, domain of La Breuille. Visit to a deer and fawn farm, visit to a walnut plantation. Screening of a film about the harvesting of walnuts. At the end of the visit, a snack with products from the farm is offered. Direct sale of canned deer, nuts and processed products (cakes, sweets, oil). Open from July 5th to August 30th, visit on Thursdays at 3pm (departure from a place called Le Rocher, route d’Hautefaye) Prices: €6 (adult), €3 (child from 6 to 12 years old), €1 under 6 years, visit with snack. Contact: 0545230256, 0684133198 and 0630181201. E-mail: [email protected]; Internet: www.laforetdubrame.fr
- ROULLET-SAINT-ESTEPHE: Gaec Jousseaume, Chèvrerie, Logis de Goin, 2, impasse chez Goin (exit D22 on the RN10). Visit to a goat farm. The best time to visit is during milking hours at 7am and from 5pm. Sale of goat cheese from the farm in the shop, cheesecakes, yogurts and Pineau des Charentes. Open every day from 9 am to 1 pm and from 2 pm to 5 pm, on Saturdays from 8 am to 12 pm. Closed Saturday afternoons, Sundays and holidays. Contact: 0545663341. E-mail: [email protected] Website: www.goat-and-cheese.com
- SAINT-QUENTIN-SUR-CHARENTE: Fourcherie Ornithological Observatory. Eurasian ducks, teals and waders find food there and use the lakes as a nesting site or migratory stop. In the morning, when the gentle jet rises, bring your binoculars. Free access Information from the Massignac tourist office Contact: 0545652669
- SALLES-D’ANGLES: Cozy Ostrich, 11, rue des Trois-Ormeaux. Discovery of the largest flightless birds in the world: ostriches. Discovery of other animals such as camels, yaks Price: from €1 (groups of children, adults with disabilities) Every day by appointment Contact: 0545837027, 0608862469. E-mail: [email protected] .Fr ; Website: http://www.label-autruche.com